Tuesday, July 23, 2019

How I Got Into Health

I wasn't born a health conscious individual. Just like any child, my friends and I ate all of our favorite foods without a care in the world. Chips, cookies, bagels, pizza, and more. This was fine as a child, and although it definitely wasn't the healthiest way to live, I suffered absolutely no impact from eating this way. 

As I got older, though, I realized that my diet as a child would eventually catch up to me, and I needed to change my habits so that I would grow to be a healthy adult. This focus on healthy eating began in high school and has continued to my current phase of life in college. 

I want to make it clear to readers that eating healthy and exercising is not about being "skinny," or losing a large amount of weight, unless weight loss is needed for you to be healthy. Following a nutritious diet plan and working out regularly will make you strong, both mentally and physically, and this strength will carry with you for life. You will thank yourself when you're old and not facing as many health issues as others who chose to indulge day in and day out. 

At the start of my healthy eating routine, I found it difficult to want to choose greens on the side of my meal instead of carbs, or fruit for dessert instead of actual dessert. After a while of choosing these healthy options instead of less healthy ones, I found myself naturally and voluntarily leaning toward the healthy options. Of course, eating my favorite sweets and salty foods in moderation was included as to not fall into a cycle of self deprivation. 

Just like my eating routine, I found it tiring to go to the gym 4-5 times a week. I was not too fond of going to the gym at first, and didn't see it making a difference. This "gym doubt" only lasted a couple of weeks, and when I saw my body becoming stronger I actually wanted to go to the gym. I now continue to go to the gym, and if I can't make it to the gym on a certain day, I will try to fit in a work out wherever I am. 

Finding a diet and exercise routine that works for you is not easy, which is why I think so many people still struggle to take their health into their own hands. It takes time, effort, and dedication. You must keep going, or you'll be back to square one. 


1 comment:

  1. This is a great story! Love hearing about how you got over the "gym doubt"

    ReplyDelete